Skip to main content

A School Book I Actually Want To Read

Hey guys!
After reading about 100 pages without realizing it, I think the book I'm currently reading should be talked about. 
Firstly, the book is Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. Think post-apocalyptic America with a 16 year old girl as the main character. After being a fan of The Hunger Games, The Selection, and Divergent, it's just another YA series for me. Interestingly enough, I started the Uglies series way back in 7th grade, but half way through Specials, I lost interest. 
The reason why I bring up this book now, is that I have to read it for my LIT class. It's a pop culture class, and Uglies is being made into a movie, so we're learning about how pop culture views themes that are present in the book. 
I love to read, I read constantly, it's rare if I don't on a given day. I just don't like when I'm told (or forced) to read a book, much like music, I need to discover and read them when I want to. Fortunately, I had already read this book, but I vaguely remember it, so I'm rereading it. 
Reading this book is a lot like when I went to go watch The Hunger Games with my sister. I remembered the basic plot (but with this book it was so long ago that I almost forgot everything), but as certain scenes happen, I suddenly remember what comes next and I give myself a high-five. 
Much like the popular YA books today, Uglies is a world where everyone is born ugly, and on their 16th birthday, have a surgery to become pretty. Tally, the main character, is a bit of a rebel and knows a bunch of tricks to sneak out into New Pretty Town and even beyond. She meets Shay, who tells her about what's outside their town. Trouble with the authorities finding out about their conversation leaves Tally with an ultimatum, help them out and turn pretty, or stay ugly forever. 
Much like any new book, it took me a few chapters to really get into the story, but as I already mentioned, I was hooked and read the entire second part of the book (there's 3 parts) last night and didn't even realize. 7th grade me loved the plot, I was interested to see what would happen to the characters. 20 year old me is still interested in the plot as I'm reminding myself of what happens in the book, but the whole school aspect and just being older and wiser, has really made me think about the book. (Shock horror, I know.) 
Maybe it's just been too long for me to remember my thoughts of the book originally, but now reading the book, I'm just comparing the world in the book to the world now and it's just really interesting and it makes you actually stop reading and think about what's going on. 
Bottom line is that Uglies is a great book for all ages, even though it's aimed toward younger kids. This was definitely me just rambling, but I haven't been so hooked to a book in a while and I thought I might as well share my thoughts as I'm nearing the end of the book. 
Have you ever enjoyed reading a book for school?
-Lexi

Popular posts from this blog

#ProjectPan May 2017

Me oh my am I determined to get my lip products under control. It's basically me decluttering at this point rather than actually using, but these lip products I've had for a while, so I don't feel as bad. Also, to sum up the lip products, unless they stand out to me as not wearing well (fading unevenly, clumping oddly, etc), or the color doesn't suit me, I generally love/make the color work. 
I've also used up quite a few skin care products that I wasn't expecting to finish.
Things I've Used Up:
Joico Color Infuse Red Shampoo: I bloody love this stuff. I claim this is the thing that makes my hair stay red as long as it does. Not only does it have color-lasting powers, but it cleans your hair and actually makes it feel clean. Huge plus in my book. I'm still undecided how long I want to keep my red hair, but if I ever decide to keep it, or go back to red, this is the first thing I'm gonna pick up.
Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream: This was a sample that I foun…

#ProjectPan July 2017

As my stash somehow is larger than ever, despite my makeup ban efforts, I still only buy when I get those Ulta "free gift with any purchase" emails that sucker me in each time. I'm going to promise myself that unless I need a spare necessary product that I'm nearly out of, when I get those emails, I'll stick to racking up my lip balm collection.
What I've used up over the past month: Joico Color Extend Shampoo: At first, I didn't mind this shampoo. But after the glaze on my hair washed out, I started to hate this shampoo. It just doesn't feel like my hair is clean at the roots. Apparently this is a common problem with color friendly shampoo, so I'm not mad about it, but now that it's done, I'm excited to try other shampoos that will make my hair feel like I got it done at the salon after each wash. Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Shampoo (Sample): OH EM GEE. My hair finally felt like my hair again. I see people buy any and all Living Proof prod…

#ProjectPan June 2017

This month has been fairly tame with finishing things. I'm finding that I'm finally reaching the end of some of my powders and foundations. I'm also doing great with decluttering the lip collection. There's also a bit of face things in there, so hopefully a little something for everyone. 
Products I've Used Up: Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse (30 mL): This is truly life changing. Well, not really, but it took off my makeup exceptionally well and I would happily repurchase this again.  Charlotte Tilbury Magic Night Cream (1.5 mL): I liked how it made my skin feel, but if you over do it, it can still feel tacky in the morning, which wasn't fun. I'm gonna stick with my samples of serums and creams for now.  Maybelline Dream Pure BB: I'm not too fussed with foundations, so I got on with this fairly well. It's a light coverage, but with the right brush, it could be a medium coverage. It lasts a good while. My only complaint is that towards the end, it separated a bi…